3.08.2016

TEA TALK: meet Amber - free spirit, traveler, yoga teacher, a strong Thai massage practitioner and inside out beauty

Spring brought us more beautiful conversations to share.. this time we’re having a chai tea talk with Amber, who is teaching yoga in Andalucia Mountains Retreat in such a hidden jewel of Seville, Spain. To Amber tea time is an important ritual, it symbolizes a break and a moment to pause and enjoy. She is making chai from scratch and have found her perfect combination of spices: cardamom, sliced fresh ginger, loose leaf tea (red or black), cloves, cinnamon and black pepper. 


Meet amazing Amber with a ginger curly hair, who trained in Nepal and London as yoga teacher and massage therapist. Her beautiful soul spreads love and goodness around and constant smile will make you at ease when working through the yoga sequence.

So let’s enjoy this fiery tea and a heart touching conversation with Amber.   

What’s the first find you do when you wake up in the morning?
I jump out of bed! I seldom if ever use an alarm as I think it most important to seize the waking moment even if its ridiculously early. In yoga philosophy the energy that awakes you is pure sattva. It is of a most refined quality and carries you into the day effortlessly even if initially you feel like you need more shut eye. Depending on how I feel I move slowly or do a more invigorating practice. Yoga at the beginning of the day is essential, its just as essential as brushing my teeth.

What’s your daily ritual? 
I like to do a meditation from the Mahayana Buddhist tradition of breath counting in the morning, I feel it helps to focus the mind away from pointless thoughts. You do a count up to ten breaths and then start again. The whole body benefits from this practice as it also relaxes the energy system.
A big part of my day revolves around my family and getting them to and from their various activities, I also like to take care over the preparation of food and sourcing fresh stuff. My children are budding yogis and my eldest will often come to my classes, for a 7 year old her patience is astounding! 

Tea time is an important ritual, it symbolizes a break and a moment to pause and enjoy. I drink all sorts of tea for all sorts of reasons but have recently kicked a niggling coffee habit which I’m quite proud of! I do miss the ritual though. I make chai from scratch most days and have found my perfect combination of spices: cardamom, sliced fresh ginger, loose leaf tea (red or black), cloves, cinnamon and black pepper. It’s a fiery tea though so I don’t drink it if I want to remain in a state of cool!

What is your favourite place in Spain? 
The Sierra Norte de Sevilla. Without a doubt I’m biased as it is the land where I grew up. The air is liquid gold and the expanse of the sky never ceases to inspire and delight. Not only are the hills divine and smell gorgeous but the feeling you get when you are surrounded by this place is not a feeling that leaves you. I can be anywhere in the world and the memory of Trasierra instills a deep sense of calm and how to say it … timelessness. Although I have nothing against outsiders it is also nice to experience a place still free of tourism.

What is yoga for you? 
A way of relating to life. There is so much to explore by following the path of yoga. Yoga always sheds more light on life. Time spent with yoga is never time lost and this is what I love about it. It doesn’t matter so much whether one spends however long each day practicing postures and building tone and strength and flexibility, lengthening the breath and stilling the mind, what’s important I find is that you keep coming back to it, continuously. 
I have been practicing and engaged in yoga since the age of 17.My first class I learn kapalabhati (bellows breath, skull lustre) and that was it, I was a convert. As soon as I understood about this integration of the seemingly different aspects of oneself I came to understand what this yoga means. 

What phrase would define how you live your life? 
Continuosly coming back to yoga! 

Amber grew up in Spain and travelled to India at a very young age. Her time there caused a deep impression and led to her interest in the yogic practices she began to embrace as a teenager. Her family home in Andalucia is a renowned haven and retreat centre where she learned with some fantastic teachers. Amber completed her 500 hour teacher training with Karuna Yoga founder Ruth White and approaches alignment in the compassionate way characteristic of this method. Her classes are dynamic and engaging. The physical body is adjusted mindfully to allow for the maximum flow of energy. The full expression of the pose is adapted according to each persons’ abilities. There is truly something for everyone in these sessions that go beyond the self limiting concepts we have of ourselves and our bodies.

Meet Amber during the next Andalucia Mountains Retreat in beautiful Seville, Spain, where she will welcome you on mat everyday. 

Dates: 11th - 17th of April, 2016 

It’s a lovely family affair, who have done everything in their power to turn this retreat into a truly magical place to practice the art and joy of yoga. 

The breathtaking natural surroundings in the Andalucia Mountains coupled with the love and attention of this family business will remind you how luxurious simplicity can be. Rest in one of the sun-filled rooms in a 16th century house that is nestled amongst 3,000 acres of olive groves and wooded hills. Such picturesque jewel of Spain has many natural gifts to share to those looking for peace and beauty in the integrity of nature.

For a peaceful escape from the stresses of modern life, enjoy a walk through the tree-filled surrounding acres on one of the marked walking paths. Horse riding and visits to nearby cities can also be arranged.

If you’d rather stay to admire the nature and untouched beauty, you can unleash your inner artist with painting.

The food provided reflects appreciation of its local wonders and simple Mediterranean cuisine. Homegrown vegetables and local products include honey, olive oil, manchego cheese, their award-winning Trasierra Marmalade and more!

The Scott family are each passionate about what they do. Gioconda is a world famous chef, Charlotte is a creative genius, George is passionate about local food and runs the hotel, Jackson is a flamenco guitarist and Amber is a yoga teacher. So you definately feel in good hands. 

Price: from 1200 Eur, 7 days
To find out more & to book Andalucia Mountains Yoga Retreat follow this link